Wednesday 24 September 2008

The Best Salad Dressing


I felt I had to blog about this as its possibly one of my favourite discoveries. We get the Abel and Cole salad box, so always having lovely organic vegetables about means we have a salad with most meals. Almost any vegetable will make it in, just a little bit of slicing, shredding, chopping and dicing.

Now, here is the secret. My mustardy dressing, it livens up any salad and what's more you can make up a big batch of it and it will keep for weeks as its just mustard, vinegar and oil. I literally drizzle it on anything I can and I encourage you to do so too.

I've posted the recipe again below for convenience, a bit of whisking and you end up with a delicious, creamy emulsion. Use it on carrot salad or winter coleslaw.

Ingredients

1tsp honey
1tbsp dijon mustard
1/2tbsp english mustard
3tbsp cider vinegar
100ml olive oil

Add the vinegar to a jug and spoon in the mustards and honey, whisk until smooth. Pour in the oil judiciously, whisking lazily until emulsified, add a bit of salt and pepper and keep in a jar or a squeezy bottle like I do for easy drizzling.

You might also like...



3 comments:

Laura Lady said...

Hi Rachel, It's Laura (Rosanna's American friend). I want to try your salad dressing! But what exactly is English mustard?? Thanks!

Rachel said...

Surely you deserve a better title than Rose's American Friend?? How about Rose's Other Top Gal Pal?

Anyway, I don't know how else to describe english mustard... its just really strong, you can get it in powdered form, or you could just use double the amount of dijon instead!

Let me know how it goes.

Laura Lady said...

OK, it's Rose's Other Top Gal Pal again. I made the dressing yesterday (I think English mustard is called dry or ground mustard over here) and as promised, it was delicious! I put it on a salad that had fennel and golden delicious apples. It was good with the fennel but GREAT with the apples.
I had also baked some acorn squash and my friend suggested drizzling the dressing on the squash with some extra honey. It was great! As you said, definitely a very versatile dressing.