Friday 28 March 2008

Olive Hummus

Another recipe I tried at the fabulous Piece of Plenty. I do like homemade hummus, but somehow my own never tastes quite right, anyway this recipe worked perfectly. Its best to use good quality olives in this as you can really taste them. Although we blended everything, I think this could be really good if you blend everything bar the olives, chop them and stir through at the end.

We also talked about doing a beetroot hummus as well, if only for the amazing colour, I'll keep you posted...

I tend to always have hummus in the fridge, its the perfect snack food, and healthy too, pulses count as 1 portion of fruit and veg, use carrot, cucumber or celery to dip into it and you're sorted!

I also always buy chickpeas (in a can) from ethnic food shops (Indian or Afro-Caribbean) as they are generally much bigger and softer than the supermarket versions. I'm yet to master the art of cooking soaked chickpeas...

Olive Hummus

  • 125g olives
  • 2 cans chickpeas, drained
  • 8 cloves garlic
  • 80ml balsamic vinegar
  • 1-2 lemons
  • 3 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1tsp ground cumin
  • ½ tsp salt
Add all the ingredients to a food processor, with the juice of 1 of the lemons and 3tbsp water. Blend and that's it! Add more lemon juice to taste.

You might also like...



No comments: