Thursday 22 May 2008

Apple and Walnut Cake

In an attempt to broaden my cake horizons, I decided to make this cake. When it came out of the oven, I was a bit unconvinced, it looked a bit like one of those dry fruit cakes, a day later and its really come into its own. Hence I ate about 3 slices too many as an afternoon 'snack'.

I used pear, but only because we had lots left in the house. Obviously, apple is the natural choice.

Apple and Walnut Cake

150ml oil
200g sugar
2 eggs
350g flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½tsp bicarb
½ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp salt
450g apples, peeled and cut into small cubes
zest of 1 lemon
100g walnuts, chopped

Beat the oil and sugar until very thick and creamy, an electric whisk works best here. Whisk in the eggs in one at a time, fold in the flour, salt, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Finally add the apples and walnuts. Bake in a greased and lined loaf tin at 180°C for 50mins.

You might also like...



No comments: