Sunday 4 May 2008

Sag Aloo

Having spent all week thinking about the saag panner that I had at Woodlands, I decided to try and make my own, the key was the saag part of the curry, it was a bright green, almost pureed sauce, brimming with flavour.

Seen as though I had some potatoes left to use up, I made sag aloo. I cooked the potatoes slowly in the onions and aromatic spice mixture, lifted them out and them cooked the spinach in the same pan, pureed it and then add the potatoes back in. All in all, I think this was a bit involved, so next time, I'd probably just chop the spinach really small to get the same texture. It was definitely good, just not as good as Woodlands...

Ingredients
2 onions, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1tbsp grated ginger
2tsp cumin seeds
2tsp gorund coriander
1tsp tumeric
2tsp garam masala
500g new potatoes, sliced into thick coins and cooked until soft
spinach, finely chopped
2tbsp yoghurt

Fry the onions, garlic and ginger slowly in sunflower oil until really soft, add the spices and fry for a few mins more. Add the potatoes and cook slowly for 5-10mins until the potatoes are really soft and have absorbed all the spices. Add the spinach and cook for 5mins more. Stir in the yoghurt and season to taste.

You might also like...



No comments: