I wasn't convinced by this recipe at first, as you probably know, I like my carrots raw or at the very least roasted. Like I said, this salad where they are boiled and then dressed in a fragrant cumin seed dressing did not convince me straight away.
Whilst I wasn't blown away, its definitely tasty and something new to do with carrots. It also worked really well with the other dishes of the mezze. I reckon it would go well with grilled fish or chicken too.
serves 4 as a side salad
500g carrots, peeled
1tsp cumin seeds
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- Boil the carrots until tender, drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan until you can smell the cumin.
- Transfer to a bowl with the lemon juice, sugar, garlic and olive oil. Mix well and season.
- Once cool, slice the carrots thinly and toss with the dressing and coriander.
- Serve at room temperature.