Monday 28 April 2008

Roast Carrot and Couscous Salad


Having spent most of the weekend eating refined carbohydrate, cheese and drinking alcohol in various guises. I decided that I need to sort myself out and eat some actual vegetables. So, I decided to make loads of this salad as its an easy way to eat lots of healthy things, it travels well in a lunchbox and keeps for ages.

Now, I normally only eat carrot raw, but these spicy sweet little cubes are a delicious deviation. Toasting the sunflower seeds in the same tray also makes them a bit more exciting. I'm also lying a little bit as I actually used bulghar wheat, but couscous seemed a more user friendly title, I always make mine with watered down vegetable stock, which adds a lot more flavour.

Roast Carrot and Couscous Salad

300g carrots, cut into small cubes
1tbsp paprika
½ tsp chilli flakes
75g sunflower seeds
250g couscous soaked in boiling water until soft and fluffy
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 red onion chopped finely
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 lemon
olive oil
3 tomatoes, diced finely
1 bunch parsley, chopped finely

Add the spices to the carrots and drizzle liberally in oil. roast in a hot oven for about 15mins, then add the sunflower seeds and continue to cook until the carrot is cooked through and brown around the edges and the sunflower seeds have started to toast, about 15mins more.

Turn the carrots into the couscous and add the chickpeas, onion, tomatoes, parsley and garlic, stir and squeeze over the lemon juice. The amount depends on your taste, I usually use about ½ lemon, but you may like it more astringent. Moisten everything liberally with olive oil and season to taste. Eat with hummus and pitta and feel virtuous.

You might also like...



No comments: